MHG11881 - Carved stone ball, Achness Graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
NC40SE0001 Graveyard & Chapel
J Aitken : 26/01/03
NC40SE 4 467 027.
(Area NC 467027) A carved stone ball with six projecting discs, found in digging a grave in Achness graveyard (NC 46780278) was donated to the NMAS in 1894 by Andrew Urquhart, Rosehall Public School, Sutherland. (Acc.No. AS 119)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1894; R Munro 1907.
No further information was obtained about find spot.
Visited by OS (R D L) 25 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Munro, R. 1907. 'Notes on ornamental stone balls, with reference to two specimins presented to the National Museum by Mr Andrew Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 41 1906-7, p.290-300. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 290-300. 290-1; fig. 2.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 119.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 66.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1894. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 28 1893-4, p.5-9, 58-62, 119-25, 178-85, 213-18, 234-43. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-9, 58-62, 119-25, 178-8. 59.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4670 0270 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-371-C& (Link to online NMS collection database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4859 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.