MHG11875 - Site of Chapel and Graveyard, Achness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC40SE0004 Carved Stone Ball
J Aitken : 26/01/03
NC40SE 1 468 028.
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A small chapel now in ruins adjoins Achness burial ground (NC 46830283) which is still in use, although it was considered ancient in 1874.
Name Book 1874.
Munro: adjoining is a small chapel now in ruins & within a hundred yards of the broch of Achness, now much broken down.
No remains of a chapel were seen in the vicinity of the graveyard. Visited by OS (R D L) 27 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Munro, R. 1907. 'Notes on ornamental stone balls, with reference to two specimins presented to the National Museum by Mr Andrew Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 41 1906-7, p.290-300. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 290-300. 290.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Donald Sage. 1975. Memorabilia Domestica, Parish Life in the North of Scotland. 197.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 9. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 191.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 11. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 201.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 12. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 232.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4680 0280 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4851 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.