MHG40748 - Site of Chapel and Graveyard, Achness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NC40SE0004 Carved Stone Ball
J Aitken : 26/01/03
NC40SE 1 468 028.
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A small chapel now in ruins adjoins Achness burial ground (NC 46830283) which is still in use, although it was considered ancient in 1874.
Name Book 1874.
Munro: adjoining is a small chapel now in ruins & within a hundred yards of the broch of Achness, now much broken down.
No remains of a chapel were seen in the vicinity of the graveyard. Visited by OS (R D L) 27 May 1963.
- --- SHG1201 Text/Publication/Article: Munro, R. 1907. 'Notes on ornamental stone balls, with reference to two specimins presented to the National Museum by Mr Andrew Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 41 1906-7, p.290-300. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 290-300. 290.
- --- SHG1858 Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- --- SHG2126 Text/Publication/Volume: Donald Sage. 1975. Memorabilia Domestica, Parish Life in the North of Scotland. 197.
- --- SHG24260 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 9. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 191.
- --- SHG24360 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 11. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 201.
- --- SHG24361 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 12. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 232.
- --- SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4679 0278 (41m by 56m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4851 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.