MHG11912 - Lime Kiln, Heilam Ferry
C19 small disused lime kiln located at the north-east end of Ard Neackie.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The remains of this small lime kiln are carved into the low cliff. The upper 'bowl' structure measures 2m. By 1m. Above the draw vent, is coloured white; the draw vent has been filled in by rubble and debris <1>..
"Limekiln" marked on 1st edition 6" Ordnance Survey map <2>. By the 2nd Edition 6" Ordnance Survey map the kiln is anotated as "Old Limekiln" <3>.
Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 45, No. 13 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1878, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland (Image/Map). SHG23446.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1906, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland (Image/Map). SHG23733.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 45, No. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sinclair B Calder. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900).
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4475 5982 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4925 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.