MHG30102 - Industrial Complex, Ard Neackie

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • INDUSTRIAL SITE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Ard Neackie is a rocky promontory connected with the mainland by a sandy spit. The stone pier which served the ferry across Loch Eriboll to Portnancon was built in the early C19 by the Sutherland/Stafford family tigether with the Heilam Inn nearby. On the promontory are four unusually large and well preserved lime kilns, built c.1870 as two pairs. In front of them is a boathouse and the older ferry pier which also served the lime kilns <1>.


Taylor, A, 2007-9, Photographs of various HER sites by Andrew Taylor (CD 1) (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24382.


<1> Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 4465 5971 (276m by 378m)
Map sheet NC45NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (6)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.