MHG10181 - Former Inn and House - Ard Neackie


Heilam Inn built in 1831, later became a house. It now stands derelict.

Type and Period (2)

  • (Former Type) INN (Built, 19th Century - 1831 AD to 1831 AD)
  • HOUSE (19th Century - 1831 AD? to 1831 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Marked as "Heilam Inn" on the 1st edition 6" OS map c.1878 <1>.

Two-storey gabled ferryhouse built 1831. Designed by Alexander Coupar with a worn Stafford coat of arms above the door. From here the Heilan Ferry once plied to Portnancon on the western shore <2>.

A small associated store/coal shed is located to the south-west of the main house. It is constructed in a similar style but with two vertical slit windows flanking the central doorway. Some of the stonework is crumbling and ivy is starting to cover the southern gable wall. The house and outbuildings predate the limekilns to the south <3>.

The associated kilns, pier and quarry were scheduled in 1978.

The house and the pier and kilns to the southwest were listed at Category B in 1984.

The site was reviewed by Historic Scotland in 2017 as part of the Dual Designation Project. The site was not visited and it was recommended that the site be descheduled but that the kilns and pier remain remain listed. <4>

The site was descheduled in 2017 but the Category B listing remains. <5>

Sources/Archives (7)



Grid reference Centred NC 4474 5973 (8m by 14m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC45NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.