MHG11917 - Limestone Quarry - Ard Neakie
Limestone quarry opened c.1870 to provide lime for the adjacent limekilns to the south.
Type and Period (1)
- LIMESTONE QUARRY (Opened, 19th Century - 1870 AD to 1875 AD (between))
- None recorded
To the rear of the limekilns at Ard Neackie (see MHG11911) is a large quarry, now flooded. <1>
The kilns, pier and quarry were scheduled in 1978.
The house to the northeast (see MHG10181), kilns and pier were listed at Category B in 1984.
A cart track links the quarry to the limekilns. <2>
The site was reviewed by Historic Scotland in 2017 as part of the Dual Designation Project. The site was not visited and it was recommended that the site be descheduled but that the kilns and pier remain remain listed. <3>
The site was descheduled in 2017. <4>
- --- SHG27988 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Scheduled Monument Descheduling Notification - SM4096. Historic Environment Scotland. 07/12/2017. Digital.
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- --- SHG8562 Image/Photograph(s): Ard Neackie, limekilns, quarry and cottages. B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG8563 Image/Photograph(s): Ard Neackie, limekilns, quarry and cottages. B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 313.
- <2> SHG2053 Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 45, No. 13.
- <3> SHG27987 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Assessment for Dual designations Project: Ard Neackie, limekilns. Historic Environment Scotland. 17/10/2017. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4466 5967 (40m by 64m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4930 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.