MHG11933 - Rispond Fishing Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH46NE0002 Rispond Lodge and cottage
NC46NE 1 451 653
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 93, 104-105, 236, 249) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
(Location cited as NC 452 654). Pier, store etc., Rispond, c. 1788 and later. A delightful group with: a massive coursed-rubble pier and quay; a two-storey and attic fish house with external stair to the first floor, crow-stepped gables and a fish wind-vane; a single-storey barn, and three dwelling-houses, one of them with wings designed as salmon-boiling houses.
J R Hume 1977.
A photographic survey was carried out in 2011 as a condition of a planning application for the conversion of a byre/agricultural store into a two bedroom holiday letting cottage (Listed Building).
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 314; pl. 118.
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <1> SHG26146 Image/Photograph(s): Spence, A. 2011. Photographic Survey - Rispond Lodge, Durness. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4515 6542 (159m by 183m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Byre/agricultural store - Rispond (Building) (MHG56685)
- Parent of: Rispond Lodge & cottage (Building) (MHG21123)
- Parent of: Rispond, Fishing Station, Cottage (Monument) (MHG45981)
- Parent of: RISPOND, FISHING STATION, FISH HOUSE (Building) (MHG52467)
- Parent of: RISPOND, FISHING STATION, PIER AND QUAY (Building) (MHG52317)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB495 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4946 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.