MHG12007 - Possible shieling hut, Balnakeil Bay
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHIELING HUT? (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
NC36NE 26 3842 6881.
(NC 3844 6880) Small sub-circular hut, 18 ft by 15 ft.
Information from Dr C S Sandeman, Durness, 14 March 1967.
This sub-oval enclosure, at NC 3847 6881, measures 3.8m by 2.6m within a rubble wall about 1.0m wide, which just protrudes through the peat and heather. No entrance is visible. The enclosure, which is undoubtedly of the same type as the two enclosures of NC36NE 42, is probably of a relatively recent date.
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J B) 13 November 1978.
A small oval structure comprising a ring of exposed stone in a very low bank. The stones are nearly flush with the surrounding ground level. Measures 5.1 m WSW/ENE by 4.1 m externally. Hints of inner and outer skins are visible intermittently. Wall is 0.6 m wide. No clear entrance. 6 m to NE is an alignment of four large boulders, 3 m long, which may be related.
Possible shieling structure.
Gently sloping N-facing ground above low cliffs, under grass and heather. Just E of golf course fence. Overlooks Balnakeil Bay.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 2003. Site gazetteer: Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness. Site 167.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2003. Loch Borralie, Kyle of Durness: Project 950. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). Digital. Site 167.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3842 6881 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4786 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.