MHG12338 - Cross Stone, Klibreck
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
See also NC53SE 3 and 5.
Sculptured Cross, Klibreck: About half mile SE of farm buildings at Klibreck, on marshy ground S of the enclosure called "Stewart's Park", are two upright slabs of undressed schistose stone within 6ft or 7ft of each other. On N face of the most southerly is a Celtic cross, long- shafted, with the arms expanding towards the ends, and the angles at the points of intersection rounded. The stone is 3ft 10ins high by 1ft 2ins broad. The total length of the cross exposed is 3ft 6ins, and the breadth along the arms, 11ins.
RCAHMS 1911; J Horsburgh 1870
This sculptured cross, fully described above, was located at NC 5932 3401. Between the sculptured cross and the other stone, some 2m to the N, is a slight trench 1.0m wide by 0.2m deep.
The large stone-walled enclosure centred on NC 5936 3415 was pointed out as "Stewart's Park" by the shepherd at Klibreck.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 May 1961
(NC 5932 3401) Standing Stones (NR) Incised Cross (NR)
OS 6" map (1963)
The standing stone and cross slab are as described by the previous authorities. Large stones cover an area 4.0m by 2.5m around the two stones. They have probably been strewn here relatively recently as one of the stones clearly exhibits a drill hole.
Visited by OS (JB) 30 June 1980.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 271.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 86, No. 248.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5932 3400 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:6592 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6592 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5301 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.