MHG1240 - Stone alignment, Creag Bhreac Bheag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE ALIGNMENT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
(ND 0072 6604; ND 0075 6602; ND 0077 6601; ND 0083 6600 ND 0084 6598) Standing Stones (NR)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1872)
(ND 0072 6604; ND 0075 6602; ND 0077 6601; ND 0083 6600) Standing Stones (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Several stones set on edge, about 1.5ft high, are said to mark the graves of some of the combatants in 15th century clan battle noted on ND06NW 4. Name Book 1873.
Some sixty stones, aligned N-S, are traditionally the site of a battle. G Gunn 1915.
No standing stones remain at points indicated on the OS map and there is no local knowledge of such features, other than standing stone ND06NW 2. Visited by OS (N K B) 23 November 1964.
(Name: ND 007 660) Stone Rows (NR) (site of) OS 6"map, (1969)
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 September 1981.
This site was visited during a walkover survey in January 2011 by AOC Archaeology Group. No remains were identified. <1>
The standing stone mentioned above by the OS in 1964 is MHG1229. See also MHG54290, which may be related to this site. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 120-1, No. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gunn, G. 1915. 'The standing stones of Caithness', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 7 1906-12, p.337-60. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 337-60. 352-3, 355.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 46.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Oleksy, V and Cavers, G. 01/2011. Baillie Hill Wind Farm, Grid Connection: Desk Based Assessment & Walkover Survey. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. Site 27.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0069 6600 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7852 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.