MHG12507 - Shielings, Bad Seasg Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING SETTLEMENT (Undated)
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/03/03
NC61SW 4 606 147.
NC 601 147. A number of structures and shielings, some arguable, and a questionable hut circle.
R J Mercer 1980.
Centred on NC 600 147 are earth and stone footings of nine shieling bothies, rectangular to sub-oval in shape with dimensions ranging from 5m by 3m to 8m by 4m. There are inconclusive remains of further structures. There is no hut circle.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 28 October 1980
10 sheiling bothies, another being added at NC5982 1493.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 17 June 1981.
(NC 599 149) Deserted Settlement 'A' is a boulder circle, 12ft across with attached enclosures in the wall of one of which is a stone standing 4ft high and measuring 2ft across the base. Charcoal was found on removing turf from the centre of the circle. 'B' is a kiln at the end of a rectangular structure. About 45m east of 'B' is a circular boulder foundation, about 10ft across. Some 20ft SE of this is a small rectangular structure 14ft by 8ft. All along the north bank of Feith Osdail are similar circular and oval stone settings.
Visited by OS (JLD) 30 April 1961.
The features noted in the previous report appear to be shielings; the classification of 'B' as a kiln is uncertain. (See NC61SW 4)
Visited by OS (NKB) 20 September 1976.
New information about this site was gathered during a walkover survey that took place between November 2010 and January 2011. Please see the linked report for full details. <2>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 111-12, Dal 64-76, 78-82.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 150-1, No. 434-5.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M.. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 69a-d.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 69a-d.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6022 1468 (98m by 126m) (Buffered by site type)|
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5081 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5159 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5531 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.