MHG12697 - Broch, Stone Lamp, Dun Torrisdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC66SE 4 6773 6185.
Dun Torrisdale (NR) OS 6"map, (1964)
The mutilated remains of a dun, Dun Thorasdal (Morrison 1882) or Dun Torrisdale (Information from George MacKay, Postmaster, Torrisdale), situated on a knoll immediately S of disused sandpit. The remains form a mound 15m diameter and 3m in maximum height on NE. Morrison notes the robbing of several underground chambers for building stone, and a stone lamp from the sandpit (Info from George Mackay) was donated to the NMAS by W J MacKay in 1955-6 (PSAS 1958) (Acc.No. AQ 120)
H Morrison 1882; 1883; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1958.
A quarried stony mound, about 18m diameter, truncated on NE by a sand pit. The size, situation and quality of stone in the mound suggest that it may have been a broch.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (I S S) 14 July 1971.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 15 September 1977.
NC66 4 TORRISDAIL ('Dun Thorsadal', ‘Dun Torrisdale’)
Possible broch in Tongue, Sutherland, consisting of the wrecked remains of a building on a knoll of clay; the mound is 15min diameter and 3m in maximum height. Several “underground chambers” are reported to have been robbed for building stone  and a stone lamp from the nearby sandpit was given to the National Museum in Edinburgh in 1955 .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 66 SE 4: 2. Morrison 1883, 98: 3. RCAHMS 1911a, 184, no. 528: 4. Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 89 (1955-6), 459, no. 20. <1>
The lamp is described in the NMS catalogue as cup shaped, of steatite with the handle sawn through lengthwise and the wedge between hole and outer edge removed. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 98.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1958. ''Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 89 1955-6, p.458-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 458-66. 459, No. 20.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1882. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-56,176-80,236-41,401-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-5. 177.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NC66 4 TORRISDAIL.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AQ 120.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6773 6185 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- LAMP (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5792 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.