MHG1273 - Standing stone, Halsary Moss
The northernmost of a pair of scheduled standing stones, probably dating from the Bronze Age.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
ND14NE 2 1773 4966.
Standing Stone (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
A standing stone, 2ft 6ins high, 2ft 4ins broad and 11 ins thick.
Name Book 1871. <1>
About 1/4 mile S of ND14NE 3 are two stones, either or neither of which may be a standing stone. That nearest the road is a round pillar about 1ft 6ins in diameter, standing 1ft above ground level and visible for another 10ins below it.
The second stone lies horizontally about 35ft to the E. It is 3ft 10ins long, 2ft 11ins broad and 4ins thick.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910. <2>
A standing stone facing N-S and measuring 0.6m high, 0.8m broad and 0.4m thick.
The RCAHMS (1911) do not seem to have seen this stone, probably having misread map, and initially mistaken ND14NE 3 for ND14NE 2. In area 1/4 mile S of ND14NE 3, at ND 1765 4899, is an upright stone which bears a marked resemblance to RCAHMS description of a 'round pillar' but there is no trace of the horizontal stone to E. This is a natural boulder. At ND 1750 4902 are another two stones which also bear a resemblance to RCAHM's description. These, however, occur within an old roadside gravel pit and are not antiquities.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (I S S) 23 March 1972.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 December 1982.
This standing stone was not located during a walkover survey in July 2008. The cited location is within a dense conifer plantation and no access could be gained to the site. The cultural heritage assessment for a proposed windfarm development concludes there would be a moderate beneficial effect on the setting of this standing stone due to proposed felling. <3>
A Forestry Commission management plan agreed with Historic Scotland states that this stone, the northernmost of the scheduled pair, is a described as being about 0.6m high, 0.7m broad and 0.3m thick, set in a low and ill-defined mound. The period to which it belongs is not clear, but it is likely to be a ritual marker dating from the Bronze Age. A second standing stone, also scheduled, lies around 400m to the south.
The HS Monument Warden report which is included in the management plan differs in its measurements, describing the stone as being c.1.4m high and c.1m wide. The area of the standing stone is unplanted and unploughed and is delineated by low posts with a single wire. The stone is in a stable condition. <4>
<1> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 12, 138; illust. (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3342.
<2> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 134, No. 489 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<3> CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2009, Halsary Windfarm Environmental Statement: Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, Site 2 (Text/Report/Environmental Statement). SHG24678.
<4> Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland, 2008, Halsary, Standing Stones 450m WNW of & 620m NW of (Text/Report/Management Plan). SHG24719.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 138; illust..
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 134, No. 489.
- <3> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: CFA Archaeology Ltd. 2009. Halsary Windfarm Environmental Statement: Archaeology and Cultural Heritage. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 11/2009. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 2.
- <4> Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Halsary, Standing Stones 450m WNW of & 620m NW of. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||ND 17731 49652 (point) (Surveyed)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5301 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5301 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8227 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.