MHG12805 - Achaidh Mhoir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Hut Circle (NR)
(A: NC 5831 0241, B: NC 5825 0246 and NC 5837 0243) Hut Circles (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
Some 500 yards E of the road to Bonar Bridge, on the hillside, is a considerable group of mounds, and near them a large pear-shaped enclosure: the E wall is continued and another wall runs from the W side of the enclosure roughly, parallel to it. To the N is a small circle. About 1/4 mile N of the Allt na Fearna Mor, and some 400 yards E of the road, is a double hut circle (A).
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The features noted by RCAHMS (1911) were located during field investigation, and, additionally, an enclosure (B) and a hut circle at NC 5837 0243 were found.
Of the four hut circles published on OS 1:10,000 map, (1970), 'A' is a stone-walled hut partially overlying an earlier type and B is a hut of similar build to the later of the huts constituting 'A'. The circle at NC 5831 0257 appears to be a clearance heap 9.0m in diameter, whose centre has been robbed of stones, and that at NC 5837 0243 is a small enclosure probably of recent date. It is 5.5m in diameter within a wall of bare stones about 1.0m wide, with both faces showing intermittently. There is no entrance discernible.
The huts occur within a well-preserved field system. 'A' built on a slope, is 10.0m N-S by 8.5m E-W within a massive tumbled wall spread to 2.5m broad, which widens to 4.0m at the entrance in the south arc and the downslope in the west.
A ruinous boulder wall extends from the west side of the entrance in a SW direction, and forms the south boundary of the field system before fading. The NE arc of the hut overlays the SW wall of the earlier hut which is the less well-preserved of the two, with a low peat-covered wall spread to 2.5m broad. It measures internally 11.5m N-S by 10.0m E-W; the entrance is in the south arc with a large squarish boulder flanking the east side. Hut 'B', also built up on a slope and revetted on the west side, is 8.5m internal diameter within a wall generally spread to 2.5m broad. The entrance, now indistinct,is in the SSE arc. The field system occupies three hectares of an undulating west-facing hill-slope, and comprises a number of irregularly shaped cultivation plots, average size 35.0m by 20.0m, which are delineated by lynchets, field walls, stone clearance heaps and linear clearance. The enclosure at NC 5832 0254 appears contemporary with the field system.
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J M) 28 July 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 22, No. 56 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5830 0248 (193m by 237m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2208 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2208 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5137 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.