MHG12880 - Abandoned township - Kinloch
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HEAD DYKE (Undated)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred on 558 530.
(NC 558 531) An unnamed depopulated settlement in existence in 1747 and consisting of the ruins of about 25 buildings and enclosures, of which about five appear to be long-houses. Being part of 'Lord Reay's Country' it was probably not cleared until c.1855. Talbot notes that foundation at NC 556 532 is bow-sided, some 17m by 10m with straight gables, 6m long. It is aligned roughly NW-SE on flat ground and rigs encroach slightly upon it.
W Roy 1747-55; OS 6" map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1874); J Prebble 1963;
E Talbot 1973
This abandoned township is on W shore of the Kyle of Tongue. The remains inside an extensive head-dyke comprise a close grouping of five long-houses, ranging from 15 by 4.5m to 28x 4m, with accompanying enclosures and subsidiary buildings; down the slope rig-and-furrow covers much of a raised beach. The foundation noted by Talbot, at NC 5566 5307, is in this cultivated, level ground. It is a bow-sided enclosure measuring approximately 14.5m, NE - SW, by 8m internally; the wall, up to 0.7m high and an estimated 1.2m wide, is partially turf-covered but appears of roughly coursed medium to small stone. No entrance is visible. An arc of residual walling sub-divides the interior. The enclosure seems more mature than another SW of it in the untilled ground and it may be from an early phase of the deserted township.
Re-surveyed at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (JM) 20 November 1978
A township comprising 25 unroofed structures, of which 14 are buildings, six are structures and five are enclosures, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxv). Ten unroofed structures, of which eight are enclosures and two are buildings, one of which is sub-divided, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1990).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 18 August 1995.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Prebble, J. 1963. The Highland clearances. 80, 309, 329.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Roy, W. 1747-55. Military Survey of Scotland. Sheet No. 35/2.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Talbot, E. 1973. 'Kinloch House, Kyle of Tongue, foundations of a bow sided building', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1973, p.55. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 55. 55.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5579 5310 (548m by 1054m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5353 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.