MHG12936 - BA Flanged Axe, Creag Na H' Urbhaird
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age flanged axe (Class III), found by a labourer working on the construction of a road from Cashel Dhu (NC 4549) to Hope Lodge (NC 474 602) along the eastern shore of Loch Hope, was given to Donald McKay, Portnacon; and was donated to the NMAS by Hew Morrison in 1885 (Acc No: DC 73). It is 2 7/8 ins long and almost 1 inch across the cutting edge, which is slightly curved. It has a slight flange on each side.
H Morrison 1885; NMAS 1892; J M Coles 1966.
(Unclassified flanged axe). Single find. Flanged axe, rough surface, black-brown; length 72mm, butt 18mm, cutting edge 24mm, weight 70 gms. NMAS DC 73.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
The exact find spot location is not known and the given grid reference (NC 46 55) is a four figure reference indicative of general area within this grid square. GIS spatial data as been adjusted to be on land rather than in the loch, and to fit the description of the findspot given above, but is indicative only and not precise.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. DC 73.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Morrison, H. 1885. 'Notices of the discovery of a stone coffin and fragment of a celtic cross at Lethnot, Forfarshire, and of a Bronze Celt at Durness, Sutherlandshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 19 1884-5, p.315-20. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 315-20. 320.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 139.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 139.
- <4> Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 113, no. 747.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4726 5500 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-061-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4899 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.