MHG1328 - Broch, Achies
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
(ND 1364 5506) Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
This grass-covered hillock has a diameter of 90ft N-S by 80ft transversely. A considerable part of the mound has been removed from the E side. Its greatest elevation is about 8ft. The exposed building and depressions on the summit suggest that this is a broch (RCAHMS 1911). Uncertain broch (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949
The grass-covered remains of this mound have been further disfigured and mutilated by a track on S and by ploughing along other sides so that it is now almost a square of 28m sides. No signs of building or walling were in evidence but it is suggestive of a cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 February 1965
This mound is generally as described by the previous authorities. Although severely reduced on the S, it appears to be similar to the broch remains recorded on ND15NW 1 and 13.
Visited by OS (J B) 24 December 1981
Mound. Diameter: 30m. Grass-covered circular mound 3m high, truncated on the S side.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
AP : Cairn, Halkirk. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11846.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 31, No. 97 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): AP : Cairn, Halkirk.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 31, No. 97.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1363 5505 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:509 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM509 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8305 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.