MHG14133 - Fish trap - near Harbour House, Dingwall
A fish trap to the SSE of Harbour House, Dingwall.
Type and Period (1)
- FISH TRAP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A fish trap to the SSE of Harbour House, Dingwall, was identified in 1998 during a coastal erosion survey by CFA between Inverness and Tarbat Ness, on behalf of Historic Scotland. <1> <2>
The remains of a timber and stone intertidal fish trap were surveyed and sampled for radiocarbon dating. The site had been located during a coastal erosion survey between Inverness and Tarbat Ness, on behalf of Historic Scotland. The fish trap, at low water mark, comprises over 100 wooden stakes projecting from the intertidal sandbank in a sinuous line parallel with the shore. Examination of the stakes revealed that in places it is stone-revetted on both shore and landward sides and between some of the stakes are fragments of wattling. The survey revealed that there is more than one fish trap on the site. <3>
A sample was radiocarbon dated in 2004 which provided an uncalibrated 19th century date. <4> See link below to Scottish Radiocarbon Database for radiocarbon date.
Examination of 1999-2001 APs would seem to indicate that this feature continues for at least another 107m (perhaps 130m) to the northeast. On the APs it is visble as a dark line, presumably from attached seaweed. This is very similar to other linear features nearby identified in the same CFA survey (see MHG50806 and MHG50807), and which may meet the fish trap(s) at more or less right angles, with the nearest one referred to as a 'stone revetment' in <3> above. Are they all part of the same feature? [IS-L 26/07/2018]
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2018 according to the 1999-2001 vertical APs. <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cressey, M.. 09/1998. Coastal Assessment Survey Inner Moray Firth: Volume 1 - Inverness to Dingwall. Centre for Field Archaeology. 14/12/1998. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Finlayson, W. 09/1998. Coastal Assessment Survey Inner Moray Firth: Volume 2 - Dingwall to Tarbat Ness. Centre for Field Archaeology. 14/12/1998. Paper and Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: Hale A. Dingwall Fish Trap and Sampling Project, No. 548. Centre for Field Archaeology, Univ of Edinburgh. . .
- <4> Text/Publication/Article: Ashmore, P J. 2004. A List of Radiocarbon Dates Highland. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2004. 165-166. Paper (Copy). 165.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5622 5822 (194m by 257m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.