MHG1451 - Marine Inn, 40-50 Shore Street
A hotel constructed during the 1870s.
Type and Period (1)
- HOTEL (Built, 19th Century - 1872 AD to 1880 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This hotel was constructed at some time after 1872 and comprised a range of buildings set in a triangular shape. It may have incorporated the old pavement works (see MHG31222). <1><2> The eastern part of the inn has been demolished and replaced by a residential building. <3>
The north and west wings are two storey construction and the south wing is single storey. The walls are generally of coursed Caithness flagstone with stone lintels over the door and window openings, and there is a slate roof. A photographic survey of the building was submitted to the HER in June 2009 in connection with planning consent for conversion to a house. It can be seen that the interior had already been gutted by May 2007, with few original features surviving. <4>
This building is referenced in the Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory, 2008. "A prominent redundant inn site is at Thurso, overlooking the beach and harbour. The windows of the former Marine Inn are now boarded up, but the structure appears superficially to be in reasonable structural order considering the exposure of the site, although repairs will be needed. It may have potential for other uses." <5>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hypostyle Architects. 2009. Marine Inn, Thurso - 2390: Photographic Record. Hypostyle Architects. Digital.
- <5> Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 2008. Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory. The North Highland Initiative. . Digital. p 90.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 12033 68704 (35m by 35m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8467 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.