MHG14513 - Badan Dubh

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The site was probably planted in 1963, only being 'rediscovered' when a new forestry road was put in 1995 (information from Edwin Wakeling).
Visited 26/5/96 by Ann Wakeling


Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
----
NH80SW 42 centred on 832 008

A township comprising five unroofed buildings, an enclosure and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1873, sheet lxxxviii). Four unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some lengths of boundary wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 July 1996

NH 832 009 Widening of commercial forestry access necessitated the destruction of a dyke close to a depopulation site. Though in a ruinous state, sections through the dyke suggested a construction of turf and stone, with a narrow, paved path on the side of the dyke facing away from the settlement. Two pieces of glazed ceramic underlying the tumble on the settlement side of the dyke give a late 18th century date. A report has been deposited in the Highland SMR. Sponsor: Forest Enterprise. <1> <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8320 0090 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH80SW
Civil Parish KINGUSSIE AND INSH
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.