MHG14672 - Buildings and Wall/enclosure - Alt Na Leac Rdaidh
Buildings and Wall/enclosure at Alt Na Leac Rdaidh
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Rectangular building foundation, probably 19th century. <1>
Allt na Leac Ruadh, Bulcraggan Alternative names Balcraggan.
The buildings and Wall/enclosure (793 – 795) - centred on NH 3484 5636 (SMR No - NH35NE 0009) were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.. The site comprises the remains of 2 conjoined buildings and a wall. It is SE facing and on a glacial terrace which is traversed by a track. The whole area is forested and it would appear that the trees may soon be harvested. The burn to the E, the Allt na Leac Ruadh is hugely eroded through the glacial moraine and one side of the enclosure shown on the 1st edition OS map may have been carried away. The 1st edition OS survey as a roofed building and an enclosure.
793 Wall - A stone wall traverses the glacial terrace, roughly parallel to the track, from Dromanbuie in the SW to Druminriach in the east, a distance of roughly 1.5kms.
794 Building – NH 34840 56360 The larger of 2 buildings at this site. It is to the WSW and measures 6m (ENE-WSW) x 3m internally. The building has double faced dry stone walls and square corners - WSW gable stands to 0.4m height.
795 Building - The smaller of 2 buildings to the ENE of 794 above. It measures 4m (ENE-WSW) x 3m internally. The building has double faced dry stone walls and square corners. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Ross, D.W.. 1991. Forestry Survey, Achlorachan Wood, Strathconon.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.37 Sites 793 - 5. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3484 5560 (22m by 15m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312962/allt-na-leac-ruadh-bulcraggan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.