MHG1497 - Cairn w Burials, Olrig Glebe
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
"Picts House (remains of) Human remains and querns found here" on 1st ed OS - HAW 3/2004
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
Broch (supposed), Olrig Glebe: A stony mound, which probably contains a broch, is under cultivation and no sign of structure is visible. The diameter overall is c96ft and elevation c6ft (RCAHMS 1911). Classified as an uncertain broch (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949
A grass-covered mound much reduced by cultivation measuring 30m diameter and 2m maximum height is almost certainly a cairn. A stone wall encroaches on NW segment.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 February 1965
No change to previous field report. Visited by OS (JB) 16 11 1981
'Broch' mound. Dimensions: 33 x 29m. Grass-covered mound 2m high.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
ND 16 10 OLRIG GLEBE (‘Borgie House’)
Possible broch or cairn in Olrig, Caithness, consisting of a grass-covered, stony mound about 30.0m in diameter and much reduced by cultivation; no fragments of a structure are to be seen, and the site may be that of a cairn .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 16 NE 12: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 87-8, no. 322. <1>
- --- SHG1531 Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 87-8, No. 322.
- <1> SHG26111 Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND 16 10 OLRIG GLEBE.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1911 6710 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
- QUERN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM572 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8384 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.