MHG42049 - Cairn w Burials, Olrig Glebe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
"Picts House (remains of) Human remains and querns found here" on 1st ed OS - HAW 3/2004
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
Broch (supposed), Olrig Glebe: A stony mound, which probably contains a broch, is under cultivation and no sign of structure is visible. The diameter overall is c96ft and elevation c6ft (RCAHMS 1911). Classified as an uncertain broch (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949
A grass-covered mound much reduced by cultivation measuring 30m diameter and 2m maximum height is almost certainly a cairn. A stone wall encroaches on NW segment.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 February 1965
No change to previous field report. Visited by OS (JB) 16 11 1981
'Broch' mound. Dimensions: 33 x 29m. Grass-covered mound 2m high.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 87-8, No. 322 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 87-8, No. 322.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1912 6709 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:572 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM572 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8384 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.