MHG15292 - Cottage, Hempriggs
A much altered later 19th-century crofthouse with unusual pointed arch windows.
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1872 AD (at some time))
ND34NE0013 Mill lade
ND34NE0028 Mains Farm
ND34NE0043 Road Bridge
ND34NE0045 Walled Garden
Visited 24 March 2009. Application for Listed Building Consent to demolish has been received. The building has deteriorated since the listed building photograph was taken in 1984. Most notably the southern-most chimney has fallen, apparently fairly recently and the pointed-headed windows have been boarded-up. It is unknown if the lattice pane glazing survives behind the boarding. The drystone wall that enclosed the garden plot survives only to the front (east) road facing side. It is not known when this was cleared. <1> <2>.
A drawn and photographic record was made of this building as a condition of Listed Building Consent for repairs and renovations. The building has been substantially altered over time, probably starting life as a fairly standard later 19th-century crofthouse. The pointed arch windows do not reflect the styling of Hempriggs House and the building is not therefore believed to have served as a gatehouse as is suggested in the listed building description. Rather it is believed that the windows were altered and/or inserted by a later owner using material from a previously demolished building of unknown provenance. The piended roof may or may not be original. It is noted that one of the windows in the south elevation is set very high in the wallhead which could possibly suggest that it was originally set in ridged gable. A full description of the building together with plans, elevations and photographs can be found in the survey report. <3>
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 24/03/2009 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
<3> Humphreys, P, 11/2009, Building Survey: Hempriggs, Caithness (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24553.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 24/03/2009.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humphreys, P. 11/2009. Building Survey: Hempriggs, Caithness. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3502 4711 (37m by 29m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:14078 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14078 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/174283 (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore web site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.