MHG1546 - Township - Torr A'Bhathaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A group of about five buildings shown in this area. <1>
Depopulated area: Torr a' Bhathaich and Torr a' Mhuilinn. An extensive depopulated area with many house and enclosure foundations, towards S end of which are remains of 3 corn-drying kilns (at ND 0393 5715, ND 0401 5740, and ND 0403 5698).
Visited by OS (E G C) 11 April 1961.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 21 July 1981.
A township comprising three roofed buildings, one partially roofed building, nineteen unroofed buildings, of which thirteen are long buildings, and seven enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xvi). Three roofed, twenty-seven unroofed and nine enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 15 September 1995.
A large part of the township was recorded by C Dagg during a pre-afforestation project survey in 2004. Shurrery, Depopulated settlement, centred on ND 040 576. The 1st edition OS map shows in total 3 roofed, 1 partially roofed and 19 unroofed buildings, of which 13 were long buildings, with 7 associated enclosures. Some of the settlement areas were located within the survey area, while the rest were located to the north. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0378 5742 (657m by 1117m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7698 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.