MHG15476 - Cemetery, Moy Church of Scotland
Cemtery in use from late 18th century onwards.
Type and Period (3)
- CEMETERY (Late, 18th Century - 1775 AD to 1800 AD)
- MAUSOLEUM (Late, 18th Century - 1775 AD to 1800 AD)
- BURIAL GROUND (Late, 18th Century - 1775 AD to 1800 AD)
NH73SE 6 7719 3420.
(NH 7719 3420) Church (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Moy church was built in 1765 probably on the site of a pre-Reformation structure.
R Macdougall 1894. <1>
No further information.
Visited by OS (N K B) 9 November 1966.
A survey of graveyard monuments was carried out at Moy churchyard by S Farrell.
An evaluation survey was undertaken of the cemeteries and burial grounds in the Inverness and Nairn areas, including the archaeological, historical and environmental standing of the sites and the monuments contained therein. A note was made of the date, variety, condition and management of those monuments.
The study of the environmental factors involved in the survey was developed in conjunction with the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
Moy Church (Moy & Dalarossie parish)
NH 7719 3420 159 memorials recorded.
Reports lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: CBA Challenge Funding, Highland Council, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Inverness Area Countryside Project, Leader II.
S Farrell 1997 <2>
Variety of stones from late 18th century to modern. Stones set in concrete. Managed by Highland Council. Mort/watch house in south wall. 1 family plot (possibly early mort/watch house). Stones in good condition, some lichen. Still in use. <3>
REFERENCE: Scottish Record Office
Repair of the Kirk of Moy.
Estimates amounting to ?63.5.4 from Mason and Carpenter followed by the division of the sum among the Heritors.
1792 GD 128/19/5/15
Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.
<1> Macdougall, R, 1894, 'Strathdearn - some church notes', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.49-50 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1554.
<2> Farrell, S, 1997, 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG934.
<3> Farrell, S, 03/1997, Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey. A Summary. (Text/Report). SHG22224.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Macdougall, R. 1894. 'Strathdearn - some church notes', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.49-50. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 49-50.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43.
- <3> Text/Report: Farrell, S. 03/1997. Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey. A Summary.. Unaffiliated. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7719 3420 (50m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:14891 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14891 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14140 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/267869 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.