MHG15529 - Culachy House
A mainly early-mid C19 house in Scottish Baronial style incorporating and recasting an earlier building, possibly dating to the C17-C18.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
A mainly early-mid C19 house in Scottish Baronial style incorporating and recasting an earlier building.
The building was Listed in 1971.
The building was photographed by RCAHMS in 2002 as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey resulting from a notice to record from Historic Scotland and the record was made prior to proposed extensive alterations. The oldest part of the existing Culachy House was built in the late 18th century. This rectangular three bay house now forms the west wing of the present house. A new front or east wing was added c.1840-50 of four bays with hood moulded windows, crow stepped gables and an advanced porch. Six pepper pot corner turrets were added at this time of which one survives. In 1893 M K Angelo commissioned William Laidlaw Carruthers of Inverness to extend and alter the house. He added the drum towers and the loggia to the north end of the east wing and a block of bathrooms at the South West corner. New attic rooms were created and the interior was remodelled. RCAHMS holds the drawings for the 1893 work by Carruthers. Ian Lindsay carried out minor alterations in 1957, creating a pantry off the dining room and improving the water supply. RCAHMS also holds the drawings for this work. <1>
Alterations to the building, including infilling of a recessed part of the late C19 additions and insertion of windows, were made to the west end and middle of the south aspect in 2003.
A heritage impact assessment for the building, comprising a desk based assessment, building survey and photographic survey, was carried out by APK Wright in 2006. <2>
A photographic survey was carried out in 2012 as part of a planning application for further renovations and alterations to the building. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wright, A P K. 2006. Culachy House, Fort Augustus: Heritage Impact Assessment. Andrew Wright. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Falconridge Holdings. 2012. Photographic Survey - Culachy House, Fort Augustus. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3767 0656 (30m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1857 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/99214 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.