MHG1554 - Deserted croft, Forss Water
Site of a deserted croft which contains a cup marked stone in its porch.
Type and Period (2)
- CROFT (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1876 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A farmstead is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872-3. By the early 20th century a horse engine had been added to the northern side of the northernmost building. <1><2>
Photographs of the croft/farmstead buildings were submitted to the HER in March 2010 in order to comply with a condition on planning consent. The buildings are to be retained on the site. <3>
A cup marked stone was reportedly found in the porch of the crofthouse and is still present on the site - see MHG39809. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903-4. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Pagel, S. 2009. Photographs of Arundi, Broubster and cup marked stone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 04064 58804 (122m by 56m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7706 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.