MHG1574 - Firing Range, Old Wick
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Used as modern range until relatively recently so structures intact. These include a modern sentry box with warning flags beside the tourist access track to Old Wick Castle. Also at this end is a substantial brick building with hatches in roof at rear to allow acess and behind this a large bund od stone and sand pittting down front. Modern building built onto rear of this. - HAW 24/05/2005
GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS central area for all targets and butts marked. Range marked along to WNW - HAW 2/2003
Shown on 1877 OS map. Information from D. Harding, supplied by A Jack, 18/04/02.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 18/04/02.
Marked on 1st and 2nd epoch and modern maps. Probably associated with Wick Drill hall, 1.7km away.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial extent added 2019, copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 75561.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 67, table 48.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 907. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3654 4902 (730m by 321m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75561 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.