MHG16070 - The Burnthouse, Rosehaugh Estate
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Ruins of Avoch House, burned down in 1833 and not rebuilt.
Name Book, 1871. <1>
There appears to be some confusion in the RCAHMS records for Avoch House (see also MHG18466). The reference given in <1> is quite clearly to this site (although this is not linked in the RCAHMS record), marked on the 1st edition OS map as Avoch House (in ruins). <2><3>
The Listed Building, Burnthouse, reuses part of the W range of Avoch House. West section only of service range of
Avoch House. Crenellated screen wall with well advanced right hand bay with segmental headed carriage entrance. 2 storey, 3 bay elevation has slightly advanced left hand bay and 19th century house built behind. Centre door. Harled, with moulded string course. Slate roof. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Ross and Cromarty, No. 5, p. 33.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <4> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 373.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6954 5576 (52m by 31m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB373 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111244 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.