MHG16657 - Burial Ground, Killearnan Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Graveyard surrounding what is probably a pictish foundation church. Lies on a terrace above the forth, but a lower terrace might once have also been included within the enclosure. The graveyard has been extended to E probably in 19th century. A series of burial enclosures, gravestones etc, some of which date back to the 17th century. The walls seem to date from at least 3 disticnt building phases and types - see photos. <1>
A comprehensive monumental inscription survey has been completed by the 'Highland Family History Society'. This survey does not include photos of each stone. Please contact Chairperson, John Durham for copies of the report.
J Aitken : 18/12/02
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. An 18th century rural parish church in use surrounded by a graveyard. A stone mausoleum and c.1700 burial enclosures are found within the site. The gravestones are mostly uprights, although there are some table tops and flat slabs. The graveyard appears to have been extended a little to the east in the 19th century. <2><3>
Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.
<1> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 11/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2003.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5767 4948 (73m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7973 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7973 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/107207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.