MHG16669 - Churchyard & Walls, East Parish, Church Street, Cromarty
Rubble walled church yard, the high portion of walling abutting street being harled. Grave stones of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Rubble walled church yard, the high portion of walling abutting street being harled. Grave stones of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. <1>
Evaluation trenching was carried out within the churchyard in 2007. In Trench D (also labelled trench 4 in report), the church yard boundary wall was discovered to the south west of the church. It measured approximately 0.65m
in width and appeared to continue along the boundary. It did not appear to be a particularly strong or substantial wall. There was little evidence of any binding material, although a small band of lime mortar was seen. It appears that the wall may have been destroyed by a landslide following which rubble was heaped up to retain the rest of the slope. <2>
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. A significant church which is currently undergoing renovation by the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust. The church is surrounded by an old graveyard which includes many table top gravestones. The graveyard does not appear to be in current use, with very few 20th century burials. <3><4>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 23596.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J & Shannahan, G. 05/2007. Cromarty East Church: Evaluation. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 16/07/2007. Digital.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7910 6725 (76m by 78m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB23596 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105664 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.