MHG16978 - Strathy and Halladale Mission Church At Craigton
An early 20th-century corrugated iron church built as a mission for the United Free Congregation from a kit supplied by Speirs & Co of Glasgow.
Type and Period (4)
- MISSION CHURCH (Built, 20th Century - 1909 AD to 1910 AD (at some time))
- MISSION (Built, 20th Century - 1909 AD to 1910 AD (at some time))
- HOUSE (Built, 20th Century - 1909 AD to 1910 AD (at some time))
- HOUSE (Extended, 20th Century - 1920 AD? to 1983 AD? (occasionally))
A corrugated iron church built in 1910 as a mission for the United Free Congregation, probably a kit design from Speirs of Glasgow. The north end of the building comprises the missionary's house. At the time of listing (1991) the building was virtually unaltered, retaining the original interior timberwork and hanging paraffin lamps. Further information is available in the listed building report. <1>
Planning permission has been granted for the conversion of the dwelling portion of the chruch to a church/community hall. A report and accompanying photographs were submitted to inform the application. According to the conservation statement the church was built in 1909 and extended northwards c.1920. A small lean-to extension was added c.1983 to form a kitchen area for the living quarters. The domestic accommodation was last used for a missionary in the mid 1950s, and it has since been used occasionally to house a caretaker. <2>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 12922.
- <2> Text/Report: Halladale Halls and Amenities Association. 2009. Report for Planning Department: Halladale Mission Station. Halladale Halls and Amenities Association. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8925 5580 (11m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB12922 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/110994 (Link to Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.