MHG17019 - Old House To Rear 11 Shore Street, Helmsdale Harbour, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD? to 1817 AD? (between))
- COOPERAGE? (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD? to 1817 AD? (between))
- WAREHOUSE? (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD to 1817 AD (between))
- FISH CURING YARD (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD to 1817 AD (between))
1st edition OS map depicts these two buildings as part of a larger courtyard dwelling which would have functioned as a fish curing yard (the layout is similar to MHG53432 further along the harbour to the east). The two-storey building with the pitched roof may have functioned as the office, with the two-storey flat roofed building to the west possibly functioning as a cooperage or warehouse (see parallels at MHG53432). Harbour house to the west (MHG29774) originally formed part of this grouping, the west and north-west sections of the courtyard would have removed with the re-alignment of the A9 and construction of the bridge in the 1970s <1> <2>.
The Listed Building entry gives a date of early to mid 18th century. I suspect this is an error and it should read early to mid 19th century - the adjacent buildings of similar design and function have been dated to 1817 <2>. Beaton writes that "… from 1814 the curing yards were built, harbour developed and streets laid out in neat grid patterns…" <3>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1868-73).
- <2> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original).
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0285 1523 (27m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7194 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111092 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.