MHG29774 - Harbour House, Shore Street, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GABLED HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1813 AD? to 1817 AD? (between))
- FISH CURING YARD (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD? to 1817 AD? (between))
- None recorded
Photo: cottage on W end of Shore St. Sutherland arms & date stone 1813. <1>
Depicted on 1st edition OS map as the south-west corner of a fish curing yard. The building would originally have been linked to MHG17019 via an intervening building. It would also have extended to the north, possibly forming a salt store <2> <3>.
Upstanding house. In use. Rendered in a white wash and has a well maintained slate roof. <4>
- <1> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> SHG23446 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> SHG24912 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 346.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0282 1523 (16m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.