MHG17094 - Pier, Littleferry
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- PIER (Built, 19th Century - 1808 AD to 1808 AD)
- PIER (Rebuilt, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1850 AD)
The pier is a stone structure, small stone built slip way on the east side. Photo. - HAW 3/2004
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 36, 38, 92, 93, 94-96) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974 <1>
Pier (wooden) marked on 1st ed OS, reversed L shape. Small building at NW corner. There is wooden building at this location at this moment. NB this is the modern docking area for the ferry that gives the settlement its name <2>
Stone lined pier surfaced with cobbles of varying sizes but up to 0.35 m by 0.15 m. Upright stone wall running N-S along W edge of pier, a metal fence along the E edge and a timber fence along the S edge. Approx. 36 m by 5 m in extent. 1 concrete mooring post at both landward and seaward ends of the pier, one metal mooring ring. <3>
- --- SHG1309 Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A and Gordon, J. 1988. 'Old harbours in northern and western Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 117 (1987), pp 265-352. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Digital. 324.
- --- SHG2335 Text/Publication/Volume: Ian Hustwick. 1994. Moray Firth, (Ships & Trade). 32, 39 & 58.
- <1> SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 36, 38, 92, 93, 94-96.
- <2> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> SHG24912 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 135.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8057 9560 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7017 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15338 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.