MHG17139 - Tongue House

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Parent for:

NC55NE0005 Boathouse/store
NC55NE0041 Sundial
NC55NE0042 Gatepiers and garden walls
NC55NE0043 Walled garden
NC55NE0044 Garden cottage
NC55NE0045 Entrance driveway
NC55NE0046 Boathouse
NC55NE0047 Pier

JHooper, 13/09/2001


NC55NE 4 5918 5875.

(NC 5918 5875) Tongue House (NAT)
OS 6" map (1962)

Built for Lord Reay in 1678 and subsequently extended, Tongue House stands on the site of an earlier house which was burned out by Cromwellian troops in 1655. It consists of two blocks at right angles to each other, the west block being one and a half storeys with dormers and large additions on the north side. Pediments from this block bearing the date 1678, are preserved in the tenant's sitting room. The south block is three storeyed and bears the dates 1678 and 1750, on the NE skewput. HBD 2/67; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909

Now the summer residence of the Countess of Sutherland, Tongue House is of no outstanding architectural importance.
Visited by OS (JLD) 25 April 1960 and (JB) 15 September 1977.

Tongue/Farr Local Plan, Oct 1995: P12/2.14. Conservation.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 5917 5874 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC55NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish TONGUE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (8)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.