MHG17222 - Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Finnan, Glenfinnan
A prominent and well-detailed Gothic church by architect, Edward Welby Pugin, and a major example of a Roman Catholic Church in the area. Dated 1873-74.
Type and Period (1)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1873 AD to 1874 AD (between))
Architect: E. Welby Pugin. Consecrated 1870
The building is by Edward Welby Pugin, 1873-4. A symmetrical 5-bay nave and aisle Gothic church, with lower chancel and single-storey, square-plan porch and tower base to E; prominently set on hillside overlooking Loch Shiel. <1> A full architectural description is available in Historic Scotland's listed building report.
The church was listed with the belfry at Category B in 1971.
Photographs were submitted to the HER in September 2010 by Martin Briscoe, taken from the loch. <2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <4>
The listing description was updated by Historic Scotland in 2012. <5>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scotland's Magazine. 'v.49 pt 1 (January 1953) to v. 68 pt 5 (May 1972). v.50 pt 1 (January 1954), v.62 pt 11 (November 1966), v.63 pt 10 (October 1967) to v.64 pt 3 (March 1968), v.64 pt 5 (May 1968) to v.68 pt 4 (April 1972) missing.' October 1965, p.30. 30. October 1965 p30.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 309.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 2012. Notification of amendment to list description for Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Finnan, Glenfinnan.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 90351 80830 (24m by 28m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB309 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG17222 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/106618 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.