MHG42897 - Belfry, Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Finnan, Glenfinnan
A low timber belfry in the churchyard of the Roman Catholic church.
Type and Period (1)
- BELL TOWER (Built, 19th Century - 1873 AD? to 1875 AD? (at some time))
Architect: E. Welby Pugin. Consecrated 1870
A free-standing low timber belfry under a tiled roof. The bell is dated 1875, and is further inscribed Thomas Sheridan and Co Eagle Foundry Dublin, 1875, and "Benedicite montes et colles marie et flumina Domino". <1>
The belfry was listed with the church at Category B in 1971.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <2>
The listing description was amended by Historic Scotland in 2012. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scotland's Magazine. 'v.49 pt 1 (January 1953) to v. 68 pt 5 (May 1972). v.50 pt 1 (January 1954), v.62 pt 11 (November 1966), v.63 pt 10 (October 1967) to v.64 pt 3 (March 1968), v.64 pt 5 (May 1968) to v.68 pt 4 (April 1972) missing.' October 1965, p.30. 30. October 1965 p30.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 309.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 2012. Notification of amendment to list description for Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Finnan, Glenfinnan.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 90378 80854 (4m by 4m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB309 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG42897 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/106618 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.