MHG42897 - Belfry, Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Finnan, Glenfinnan

Summary

A low timber belfry in the churchyard of the Roman Catholic church.

Type and Period (1)

  • BELL TOWER (Built, 19th Century - 1873 AD? to 1875 AD? (at some time))

Protected Status

Full Description

Architect: E. Welby Pugin. Consecrated 1870

A free-standing low timber belfry under a tiled roof. The bell is dated 1875, and is further inscribed Thomas Sheridan and Co Eagle Foundry Dublin, 1875, and "Benedicite montes et colles marie et flumina Domino". <1>

The belfry was listed with the church at Category B in 1971.

Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <2>

The listing description was amended by Historic Scotland in 2012. <3>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 90378 80854 (4m by 4m) (Centred)
Map sheet NM98SW
Civil Parish ARISAIG AND MOIDART
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.