MHG17282 - The Craigs Burial Ground - Fort William
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
The Craigs Burial Ground, Fort William.
After the demolition of the Fort at Fort William (see MHG 4196), the stones of the Fort's inner gateway arch were re-erected as an entrance arch to the Craigs Burial Ground. <1>
The gateway was scheduled in 1961.
The cemetery, obelisk and Gateway were listed at Category B in 1971.
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993. <2>
Four photographs of the graveyard and its architectural features were submitted by Martin Briscoe in May 2011. <3>
The gateway was descheduled by Historic Scotland in 2015 as part of the Dual Designations Project. <4>
GIS polygon amended in 2017, based on original depiction on OS 1st Edition 1:2500 map. <5>
<1> Briscoe, J M, 2011, Photographs of The Craigs Burial Ground, Fort William (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25936.
<2> Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie, 1990, Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2163.
<3> MacCulloch, D B, 1938, Romantic Lochaber, 31 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2433.
<4> Historic Scotland, 2015, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule: Gateway of Fort, Fort William (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27646.
<5> Ordnance Survey, 1871-4, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23389.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2011. Photographs of The Craigs Burial Ground, Fort William. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: MacCulloch, D B. 1938. Romantic Lochaber. Rev. 31.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 2015. Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule: Gateway of Fort, Fort William. Historic Scotland. 09/09/2015. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1083 7424 (176m by 127m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB31782 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108567 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.