MHG43970 - Ewen Maclachan Obelisk & Gateway, The Craigs Burial Ground, Fort William


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • GATE (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

In 1896 the inner gateway arch, originally constructed in 1690, from the Fort of Fort William was was taken down and re-erected in the same style as an entrance arch to the Craigs burial ground. This gateway acted as a memento of the Old Fort. <1>

The Gateway was scheduled in 1961.

The Gateway, obelisk and cemetery were listed at Category B in 1971.

Three photographs of the gateway to the Craigs Burial Ground were submitted by Martin Briscoe in May 2011. <3>

A part of the Historic Scotland Dual Designations Project, the gateway was descheduled in 2015. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NN 1079 7421 (10m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NN17SW
Civil Parish KILMALLIE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.