MHG17499 - Possible Cremation, The House of Rosskeen
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CREMATION? (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) INDUSTRIAL SITE? (Unknown date)
- None recorded
NH66NE 46 6973 6942
NH 69738 69428. A small cremation deposit was found here during archaeological supervision of the topsoil strip for the Dingwall - Invergordon British Gas pipeline. Sponsor: British Gas
J Wordsworth 1993 <1>
A pit 0.16m square by 40mm deep filled with black silt & calcined bone, was found during observation on the route of the Dingwall to Invergordon pipeline. It appeared to be the much truncated remains of a cremation burial, though it could have had some industrial function connected to the other pits - see MHG43865 - for example, as a filtering material. <2>
GIS adjusted based on information received from Jonathan Wordsworth. <3>
- <1> SHG542 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline (Rosskeen parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.49-50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49-50. p. 50.
- <2> SHG24818 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 1993. Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas Pipeline 1993: Archaeological Report. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 36.
- <3> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6964 6943 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85354 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.