MHG18091 - Crackaig Farmstead
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NC91SE 7.01 9570 1073
This is a multi-period complex comprising both 'E' and 'L' -planned ranges which includes a barn with a water powered threshing machine, large covered cattle courts, extensive byres, stables, a straw house with separate blacksmiths, sheep folds and worker's houses. The steading was partly in use on the date of survey, with some of the buildings in a state of good repair and some ruinous.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), July 1993; see NMRS MS 744/117.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sutherland Estates. 1866-. Sutherland Estates building specifications. Crackaig 1908, 1-4 (steading); 1889, 1-23 (cattle courts); 1862 1-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wade Martins, S. 1997. ''A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790 - 1890'', Review of Scottish Culture, Vol 10, 1996-7, pp 33-54. p 45, 46; fig. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9570 1071 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7148 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83536 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.