MHG9943 - Crackaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Parent for: NC91SE0033.
NC91SE 7 9574 1066.
(NC 9574 1066) Lady Jane Gordon, a daughter of George, Earl of Huntly, built the house of Crakaig (about 1574). No trace of it exists (Pennant 1774). She died in 1629 (Gordon 1813; Calder 1955).
R Gordon 1813; T Pennant 1774; W Calder 1955.
No part of the old house remains. The date of the present house is uncertain but a gable in S side of the house bears the date 1845.
Visited by OS (W D J) 27 May 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 10.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1776. A Tour in Scotland; MDCCLXXII. 338.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 7, no. 21.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sutherland Estates. 1866-. Sutherland Estates building specifications. Kilmote 1866, 1-30; 1892, 1-7; 1894, 1-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9573 1066 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB12371 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7105 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.