MHG1847 - LBA Sword - Forse Estate
BA Sword, Forse Estate
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Late Bronze Age three-slot sword, dug up in a moss on the estate of Forse (Forse House: ND 212 353) was exhibited to the Soc Antiq Scot in February 1855 and donated to the museum later the same year by George Sutherland of Forse (Acc No: DL 2).
The Moss of Forse (ND 220 364) an extensive peat moss (ONB 1872) is on the Forse estate, but it is by no means certain that the sword came from it.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1859; J Anderson 1879; J M Coles 1962; NMAS 1892; Name Book 1871.
(Ewart Park type - Caledonian step 2). Sword, length 64.15cm, terminal width 4.2cm, shoulder width 5.4cm, maximum blade width 4.68cm; slight messy black 'patina' but only on hilt; perhaps this is the remains of organic hilt plates; rivets Sl:4 (+2 Sl).
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
On loan from the NMS to Dunbeath Museum (2019). <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1879. 'Notice of a remarkable find of bronze swords and other bronze articles in Edinburgh; with notes on bronze swords found in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 13 1878-9, p.320-33. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 320-33. 326.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 172.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 83.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 100, no. 583.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Evans, J. 1881. Ancient bronze implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain and Ireland. 289.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 145.
- --- Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
- --- Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S. 2019. Highland Finds from Pre- 1918 NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. X.DL 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 95.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1859. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 2 1854-7, p.4-5,16-17,32-3,63-4,78-9,100-1,134,153-4,176-7. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 4-5,16-17,32-3,63-4,78-9,. 33.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2120 3530 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8614 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.