MHG18481 - Keg of Bog Butter - Gleann Geal
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Wooden keg containing bog butter found during peat cutting at the N end of Glen Gell (Gleann Geal?), Morvern. A radiocarbon date of 1802 +/- 35bp (UB-3185) was obtained from the contents of the keg. In Royal Museum of Scotland (ME 166/SHC 1).
W I Macadam 1882; C Earwood 1992
See MHG18482 for alternative location.
RMS ME166; 'Keg of butter….cut out of one piece, 24 x 16.5 in., with lid, found under 4.5 feet of peat in moss at Glen Gell, Morvern, Argyllshire - Purchased 1879'.
NMAS 1892 Catalogue.
The bog butter contained in the keg has been dated by radiocarbon to 148+/- 35ad (UB-3185), or 120-329 cal AD.
- --- SHG1328 Text/Publication/Article: Macadam, W I. 1882. 'On the results of a chemical investigation into the composition of the "bog butters" and of "adipocere" and the "mineral resins;" with notice of a cask of bog butter found in Glen Gell, Morvern, Argyllshire, and now in the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vo. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 204-23. 206, 220-1.
- --- SHG1771 Text/Publication/Article: Earwood, C. 1992. 'Two Early Historic bog butter containers', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 121 1991, p.231-40. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 231-40. 232-6, 239.
- --- SHG2591 Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 326.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. SHC 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7199 4999 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BOG BUTTER (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-190-004-113-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85531 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.