MHG18591 - Buildings, Camas Ban, Loch Hourn
Buildings, Camas Ban, Loch Hourn
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG90NW 2 Centred on 9163 0685
Two buildings, depicted as roofed on OS 1st ed. map of Inverness-shire (Mainland sheet 78, 1876).
Information from RCAHMS (KM) 26 October 1995.
NG 916 067 On the shore of Loch Hourn to the E of Creag Raonabhal are the remains of at least three buildings. Internally one measures 6m by 2m and the other two about 9m by 4m. At the time of the survey for the First Edition OS map only one of the latter was roofed. Full report with NMRS.
R C Callander 1995. <1>
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn. A small settlement in a bay sheltered between two steep headlands, Creag Raonabhal to the west and the base of Sgurr Sgiath Airigh to the east. It is easily reached by sea but there is a steep ascent and decent from both sides on the public footpath. It would appear from the 19th century historical evidence to be something of a satellite settlement for Skiary and the three or four upstanding structures here bear similarity to those at Skiary, although there is evidence of earlier structures and one if not two possible sheilings. There is no evidence of any cultivation remains in the form of rigs. The place is dominated by two destructive burns.
Site 493. A ruinous rectangular building, possibly a dwelling house, situated behind site 491 at the foot of the east side of Creag Raonabhal. Corners externally and internally are rounded. Entrance in NNE wall, the E margin being 0.7m from the inner side of the ESE end. No window openings. The SSW and WNW walls are scooped into the hill slope.
Site 491. A ruinous rectangular building, measuring 9.0m WNW / ESE x 3.5m to 1.0m high, a possible a dwelling house, at the foot of the E side of Creag Raonabhal, a short distance above the HWM. Walls 0.8m thick. The dry stone or clay bonded wall facing Loch Hourn (WNW) has some lime plastering. Squared corners both inside and out. Entrance 0.7m wide, 4.0m from the inner corner to the W. No windows present. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 APs <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Callander, R C. 1995. 'Camas ban, Loch Hourn (Glenelg parish), deserted township', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.29,30 Sites 491,493.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9161 0684 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/87553 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.