MHG1901 - Lybster (invershore) Harbour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
ND23SW0027 Fish processing plant
ND23SW0040 Fishery Office
ND23SW00 Fish smoking kiln
ND23SW 15 245 349
For Lybster Harbour, Fish-smoking Kiln (ND 2441 3498), see ND23SW 19.
(Location cited as ND 245 349). Lybster Harbour. Built as a fishing harbour 1849, and rebuilt 1882 at expense of the Duke of Portland. A complex harbour with four basins. The quay walls have recently been sheet-piled. At the entrance is a small octagonal lighthouse, with a domed lantern. There are two storehouses, one of them three-storey and six-bay, the other two-storey and six-bay; upstream are the ruins of a two-storey, four-bay store, and of a mill.
J R Hume 1977.
This site has only been partially upgraded for SCRAN. For further information, please consult the Architecture Catalogues for Caithness District.
East Caithness Local Plan, May 1987: P115/6.21. Harbours, Piers and Jetties.
POLICY - The Council will continue to encourage, and where possible, support a continuing programme of work to harbours.
J Aitken : 23/05/01.
The harbour was visited and photgraphed by C Jones in April 2011. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Lybster.. Colour Slide. .
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 123.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 190.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 193.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Headland Archaeology. 2012. Beatrice offshore Wind farm: Environmental Statement. Arcus Renewable Energy Consulting Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2445 3490 (157m by 250m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7954 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8646 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.