MHG1901 - Lybster (invershore) Harbour

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Parent for:
ND23SW0025 Lighthouse
ND23SW0026 Stores
ND23SW0027 Fish processing plant
ND23SW0040 Fishery Office
ND23SW00 Fish smoking kiln

JHooper, 28/09/2001

ND23SW 15 245 349
For Lybster Harbour, Fish-smoking Kiln (ND 2441 3498), see ND23SW 19.

(Location cited as ND 245 349). Lybster Harbour. Built as a fishing harbour 1849, and rebuilt 1882 at expense of the Duke of Portland. A complex harbour with four basins. The quay walls have recently been sheet-piled. At the entrance is a small octagonal lighthouse, with a domed lantern. There are two storehouses, one of them three-storey and six-bay, the other two-storey and six-bay; upstream are the ruins of a two-storey, four-bay store, and of a mill.
J R Hume 1977.

This site has only been partially upgraded for SCRAN. For further information, please consult the Architecture Catalogues for Caithness District.
March 1998.

East Caithness Local Plan, May 1987: P115/6.21. Harbours, Piers and Jetties.
POLICY - The Council will continue to encourage, and where possible, support a continuing programme of work to harbours.
J Aitken : 23/05/01.

The harbour was visited and photgraphed by C Jones in April 2011. <1>

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 2445 3490 (157m by 250m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND23SW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (4)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.