MHG19256 - Township, Acharry Moor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH79SW 43 Centred on 705 914
A township comprising one unroofed and four roofed buildings, an unroofed structure, some enclosures and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxii). Three unroofed buildings, some enclosures and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1981).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 November 1995
NGR corrected from 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. This shows a series of enclosures & associated buildings roofed & unroofed running along footpath. <1>
A number of the individual enclosures of the township were recorded during walkover survey.
At NH 70701 91452, a farmstead of stone bonded with clay mortar was recorded. South elevation is pierced by a central door flanked by two windows; chimney in eastern gable. Almost hidden by bracken.
At NH 70698 91446, an enclosure is shown on the 1st edition OS 6” map, was recorded as surviving in very poor condition.
A clearance mound forming part of the dykes of the field system associated with the township, was recorded at NH 70624 91360. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7062 9140 (462m by 250m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91309 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.